Sunday, December 21, 2014

Scandinavian Christmas: Day 9


Here we are already on day 9! Today I welcome back Erica! Erica is married to my cousin Sten, and they have a precious little girl named Lucy. Erica shared wonderful Swedish Meatballs last year, these delicious almond cookies the year before, and Rosettes the year before that! So glad she's back to share again! 

So excited to be back for another year of Scandinavian Christmas! As my little one grows I think about traditions often. One of my favorite Christmas traditions was decorating our house while listening to the Amy Grant Christmas RECORD. I still have visions of my sister and I dancing around the house while singing: "Wonderful, Counselor! Lord of Life, Lord of ALLLLLLLL, He is the Prince of Peace, Mighty God, Holy One, Eeee-maaaaaa-nuel, Emanuel!" I think secretly our parents hoped that record would get scratched....
Last year for Christmas I got a 'Swedish Gingerbread House Cookie Cutter' from my mother-in-law and thought making gingerbread houses will be a tradition I start! Lucy is a little young yet, and was really more just in the way, but it's the thought that counts, right?! So- here we are, year 1!
This gingerbread recipe was delicious, I made little gingerbread men and gave them to a new family at our church and she asked for the recipe. Sten loved it too- as did my daughter Lucy.
Below are some pictures and the recipe. I hope you enjoy your traditions this year, and if you happen to crave a gingerbread treat- I highly recommend trying these! If you'd like the cutter for yourself, here is a link: buy it here!

Recipe:
Jenny's Pepperkakor
1 Cup Shortening
1 Cup sugar
1 Egg
1 Cup molasses
2 Tbls vinegar
5 Cups Flour
1 1/2 tsp Soda
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves

Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg., molasses and vinegar. Sift together dry ingredients, blend into other ingredients. Chill 3 hours. Roll dough 1/8 inch think on a lightly flour cookie sheets. Use cookie cutter twice to make enough shapes for one house. Remove excess dough between shapes. Bake at 375 for 5-6 minutes Cool slightly; remove to rack. 

I used a generic buttercream frosting for the glue.










 I pre-decorated the pieces, this seemed to work well!



 simple and delicious!

 I used course pretzel salt to look like snow




Here's Lucy eating a gingerbread man. She was LOVING it.

God Jul! I hope your Christmas is full of traditions new and old!
XO, 
erica

1 comment:

  1. Oh, using pretzel salt is a really good idea ~ I'll have to try that in the future.

    ReplyDelete