Friday, April 12, 2013

New Installment: Fika Friday

As some of you may know, I have a little obsession with coffee. In Sweden, it's common to take a fika break everyday (pronounced fee-ka). When I studied in Sweden, it was by far the best part of the day. Nothing compares to a dark cup of Swedish coffee alongside a home-baked treat. My mouth is watering just writing about it. 
 
 
So in honor of this Swedish tradition I love so much, I am going to start Fika Fridays here at the Pickled Herring.  I will post a picture of my favorite fika of the week and take a minute to enjoy the peace that 15 minutes of coffee adds to my day.
 
Back in college, my roommates and I started this very tradition of Fika Friday [at four]. We would bake tons of little treats and brew copious amounts of coffee (I actually had a 40-cup coffee urn...many times we had to even brew more!) for our fellow friends and students and invite everyone over to partake in a little friendly fika. By our senior year, we had over 80 people at our ending "Fika Finale" day. I have many fond memories of these fika Friday days.
 
Long live fika!!!
 
[you can follow my fika board on Pinterest here]

5 comments:

  1. You have certainly converted me!!!! What a lovely way to take a break and rejuvenate physically and mentally! AND treat your taste buds! AND possible improve your mood! AND get away from it all for a bit! AND have a perfect excuse for indulging in sweets!

    Fika! You bet! Count me in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I'm excited about your new installment. What a fun tradition you had back in college. I can't drink coffee, but at 4:00 when my kids come home from school I sit down with them at the kitchen table & have vanilla tea (or hot chocolate with soy milk) and gluten-free cookies while they do their homework :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to follow this! Such a great idea!
    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fike fridays at 4. what great times.

    ReplyDelete