Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Apple Butter

Well, Fuji apples were on super sale here in California this past weekend so I bought 5 pounds with hopes of either baking or canning with them.  Canning won out.  It was a toss-up between making apple butter or Swedish apple cake (this is amazing if you have yet to try it...), and since I haven't canned anything in a while I went with making the apple butter.

I discovered apple butter later in life, I think sometime around college (back in the early 2000's), and have never looked back.  There are many variations from very basic (just apples) to very spicy.  I decided to go the spicy route this time around.  I even threw in a 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom for the heck of it.


The one drawback of making fruit butters in the amount of time it takes.  Peeling, chopping, slicing, heating, simmering, and simmering....and simmering.  It seriously feels like it simmers f-o-r-e-v-e-r.  Since you really want a thick consistency it takes quite a bit of time (especially with juicier fruits like peaches or pears) to evaporate most of the liquid until you're left with a very spreadable and edible butter.  But, it's totally worth it.


In non-butter related news, it's been a grand week thus far.  A good friend just moved closer, my pepper plants have made a triumphant return after I was certain they were dead, I finished reading the Hunger Games series (amazing!!!), and to top it all off today is Leap Day!

3 comments:

  1. I love applebutter! This fall we made some and I tried the redhot sliced apples. So pretty in the jar and tasty too.

    We (my three boys and husband) have all read the Hunger Games, some of us read it twice. We are anticipating the movie release!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make the coolest stuff!! I love applebutter, it is so good mixed into oatmeal. xo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha - reshot apples sound delish! I am soooo looking forward to the movies! Ryan and I are planning to see it opening weekend. :)

    Erica - I will def have to try it in some oatmeal, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete