Saturday, December 24, 2011

Scandinavian Christmas: Day 12


It's the twelfth day of Scandinavian Christmas! A huge thank you to everyone who participated in making this series so much fun!  I will be posting a round-up and recap of all the participants and projects tomorrow (Christmas Day, woo!).  I thought it only fitting to end the series again with a new recipe for pickled herring.  If you didn't already know, I love herring.  For our Christmas Eve dinner we always have a full Swedish smorgasbord, complete with at least 3 (this year 5) different kinds of herring.  Today I will share a recipe for one of my favorite kinds - mustard herring.

Last year for the Scandinavian Christmas series we were lucky to have Pernilla share her own pickled herring recipe here.  I love the red onion in it.


This year I found an amazing recipe from Leila's blog.  Her blog is all about recipes and books, you have to make sure you check it out, stat!  It is also full of great photos and recipes, Swedish mustard herring being one of them.

photo from Leila

The recipe for Swedish Mustard Herring is found here on Leila's blog.  She writes clear and concise directions for the recipe that are easy to follow.  If you've never tried pickled herring before, now is your chance! 

Merry Christmas Eve!

2 comments:

  1. I happen to love pickled herring! I just never knew it was so easy to make!

    Thank YOU Kathryn for all your work and time to bring us Scandinavian Christmas again this year.

    Gledileg Jol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I'm just browsing through your Scandinavia-labelled posts and enjoying reading through them :) Well, nice to meet someone as obsessed with Scandinavia as myself :)- I keep knitting some Scandi stuff, making cards, cross stitch and glass paint some Nordic motifs :)
    Do pop in and have a nose around :)

    as for the pickled herrings - I'm Polish and we, Poles, we love them! With oil, herbs, vinegar, salsa sauce, mayo - name it all! We can't imagine the Christmas Eve dinner without them!

    ReplyDelete