Monday, November 7, 2011

Easy Knit Pillow Tutorial


This is the project I have been working on this past week. Knitting away during my free time, it only took one week to finish knitting the front to this pillow. And I wasn't knitting very often, it went quite quickly. I love that it is a bit softer to lay on when I'm zoning out on the couch reading a magazine (November issue of Real Simple, anyone? So good.) and they are a bit bigger than the last pillows I made.

If you don't know how to knit it's no problem, you can repurpose an old wool sweater or buy one from a thrift store. If you do knit, I recommend using larger needles so the lining fabric can peek through.

Ok, let's get started! Gather your supplies:

One 17 x 21 inch stockinette stitch knit swatch
(I used size 15 needles, cast on 65 stitches and knitted until it measured 17")
One 17 x 21 inch piece of lining fabric
(I used white flannel)
One 17 x 21 inch piece of fabric for the back
Stuffing for the pillow
Needle/thread




1. Cut and assemble your layers of fabric. Lay your back piece of fabric right-side up and place your knitted swatch on top, wrong-side up.




2. Place your lining piece on top of your knitted swatch.


3. Pin in place. Leave a 3 inch gap in the bottom of your pillow.


4. Sew around the pillow using a 1/2 inch - 1 inch seam allowance. I used quite a big seam allowance here to allow for the knitted piece, feel free to adjust accordingly.


5. Turn right-side out through the gap you left in the bottom.




6. Stuff with filling. I start stuffing with the four corners and add gradually from there. Distribute evenly and keep in mind that it will flatten out a bit after use.




7. Pin the gap closed by folding in both sides 1/2 inch. Sew either using your machine or hand stitching with an invisible stitch.




Enjoy your soft and comfy knitted pillow!





Pin It

4 comments:

  1. i love this! ill have to knit something and try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love this tutorial.. maybe this is a great start to learn to knit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's definitely suited for the beginner knitter (and beginner sewers)! Glad you all enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete